Monday 17 November 2008

The saga...

......of last last Friday's appointment. It wasn't unexpected really. The bone scan results show that my bone density has deteriorated alarmingly since my last one in 2005....and I do have osteoporosis. Apparently I am not getting enough calcium or doing enough weight bearing exercise. She asked me what my diet was like and I said that it thought it quite good really. Yes I do have a sweet tooth and have cut out the sugar in tea...I eat a good range of foods including wholemeal bread and plenty of fruit and veg. I know I could do with losing about half a stone and I am losing it since going swimming. Not good enough for her though...I need to lose some weight (although I am not overweight!) walk a lot more and don't take the bus and taxi's. Taxi's??..I can afford to go everywhere by taxi?? When I said that walking was painful and tiring for me her answer was to give me yet more painkillers..... HELLOOOO!! I HAVE M.E. She then gave me a list of common foods that contain calcium, so I think I've got the calcium thing sorted now. I start to have sugar again...there's 2mg per 100g in that. Cheddar cheese sandwiches made with white bread and butter rather than low fat spread....that's 55mg in a slice of white compared to 13mg in wholemeal.....and fried sausage and chips. There's more in fried sausages than there is in grilled bacon..and the same goes for chips rather than boiled potatoes. With this sort of diet I will increase my amount of calcium very easily.....but I will probably die early due to obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes and heart disease. Then she prescribed another lot of medication. This is one tablet to be taken once a week on the same day of the week for the rest of my life. It has to be taken whilst upright with a full glass of water and nothing to eat or drink for 30 minutes afterwards. I started taking it on Saturday and the hardest thing is having to wait half an hour before I can put the kettle on for my morning cuppa. I don't even begin to function until I've had that. You confused yet?...I am!! Oh..and I've got to have more blood tests on Wednesday. My blood tests from the hospital "were a bit fuzzy"....the doctors words....and showed some inflammation which needs investigating. Don't think there's much more they can test me for now. At least now when people ask what's wrong with me, I can say that I have a medical condition which most people are aware of and not get the withering looks of disbelieve.

2 comments:

Emma said...

What a saga Sue...sorry to hear of all your issues. I hope you get all the help and support you need.
Your cards you have been posting are really fab and Theo....so cute!!!!
Little behind on my blogging!!! Aaaarrrhhhh
Emma x

Liz said...

Hi Sue - love the new look blog and all your lovely cards. I'm so sorry to hear your news as if you don't have enough to contend with M.E. You take care of yourself and take things easy.x