Saturday 26 April 2008

Progress...?

I think I'm coming back down to earth now. It was such a delightful surprise to receive an award... (see previous post)...I never expected anything like that, and it is comforting in a way to know that people are reading my blog, and are, hopefully, being helped or gaining insight to a worldwide condition that is all too often ignored by some medical professionals.

The last few days haven't been particularly good for me. Wednesday I managed to cut the lawns which wasn't too hard a job as they didn't need too much work. I use the term lawns very loosely..they are more moss, buttercups and daisies than grass. As long as they are cut regularly they don't pose a big problem. Anyway, who am I to deny my grandchildren the joy of making daisy chains and testing to see who likes butter? The trick with lawns is little and often. Thursday I went over to eldest sons as he wanted to borrow some of my crafting stuff, and I some of his. It is an advantage having another crafter in the family....we can swap and share....as most crafters are only too willing to do. Crafters, I've found, are a caring, sharing community. I set off from the house in sunny, warm weather. 5 minutes into my journey the heavens opened and the downpour continued until I reached my son's home. I felt and probably looked like a drowned rat. My DIL lent me a pair of her trousers while she put mine and my coat in the dryer. I arrived home later feeling cold and shivery even though it was quite warm. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep....and I couldn't lie in because I had my doctor's appointment. Now this is the part where I'm not sure if I should be a bit put out or grateful. My blood tests were normal...good...I could be in the 20% of people tested for rheumatoid arthritis that don't get a definite result....not so good. So my GP has decided that because of my family history I probably do have it....as she can't prescribe ibuprofen because of my stomach problems....she is "going to pass me onto the experts." In other words... she has referred me to the rheumatology clinic at the hospital and I should expect to hear from them within 4 to 6 weeks. OK..I can live with that. I might actually be getting somewhere. Consultation over I walk out into the reception area, where I was accosted by a very polite young lady asking me if I could spare a few minutes to talk. Fine....I was in no great hurry. She then started talking about age concern and would I like a representative to visit me to discuss how they may be able to help me. Now I know I'm no spring chicken....I do use a walking stick and I tend to dress these days more for comfort rather than fashion....but surely I don't look that old!!...do I? The young lady must have seen how mortified I looked and hurriedly assured me that age concern now helps people from 50 upwards. She asked a few questions about my condition and told me that they may be able to get me some aids to help me around the house. I don't have a lot of problems with mobility in the house except for the stairs....I have fallen a couple of times ..and I never take a bath if I am alone in the house just in case I fall. This could mean an extra banister rail on the stairs and safety rails for the bath which I think would be a good thing. Another wait and see what happens scenario. Now I have to try and be a patient patient. Patience isn't one of my strong points I'm afraid. If something needs doing, get on with it has always been my way. Unfortunately....or maybe not...that isn't always possible now.

No comments: